Friday, October 1, 2010

Installing the new Google CarHome and StreetView on CyanogenMod (CM6)

Warning: Geeky entry - if you don't use CyanogenMod on your Android phone, please ignore


Have CyanogenMod 6.0 on my NexusOne. Heard about the new release of Google's CarHome app and decided I needed to have it. Tried installing it from the Android market, but got a signature failure. Searched around the web, but couldn't find instructions. Was impatient, so decided I needed to do this for myself.

Remembered seeing an earlier post on how to get Google Voice Search on CM6, so pretty much copied the instructions for that, along with this great post by Diane Hackborn on getting the package name from an apk, to create the following command sequence:

adb pull /system/app/ ~/Desktop/app/
adb remount
adb shell
cd /system/app
rm -f CarHomeGoogle.apk
pm uninstall com.google.android.carhome
rm -f  Street.apk
pm uninstall com.google.android.street

You can create appropriate instructions if you don't have adb and just have Terminal.....

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, I was trying to doing the same thing and I have the same setup as you. I had already done the Street View, but didn't know the name of the apk for the CarHome app.

    ReplyDelete